Monday, October 29, 2007

Teach for America's budget

Recently I got a FedEx "letter" from Teach for America. In it were five copies of this:



And five copies of this:



The copies were not on particularly high-quality paper, nor were the copies of particularly good quality. There weren't any instructions on what to do with them (though it's obvious). What I can't figure out is why they were sent using such an expensive method. It probably cost upward of $10 to send these flyers. Flyers. To post. On bulletin boards. Around school. Amidst flyers for roommates, study abroad, and other sundry solicitations.

Is this worth FedEx'ing?

I know only a little about Teach for America, but this little episode makes me wonder about just how well-organized an outfit this is. Maybe they could save some of the money they use for these mailing costs and donate it to a local Boys & Girls Club.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FedEx is a national supporter of Teach for America. I know they've committed a 1 million dollar grant to the program (http://news.van.fedex.com/teachforamerica). Its possible/likely they've also given TFA a reduced rate to send recruitment materials. As a current TFA member, I recall that just about everything I've received from TFA has come to me via FedEx. Hope this clears up any confusion.